Friday, October 10, 2008

my night 'Dining Alone'

With E gone for a good part of last weekend, I was cooking for myself alone. I was looking to make something that I couldn't make for E, so meat was obviously the big thing. However, I didn't want to choose something that would be intensive to prepare, or that would have expensive or hard to find ingredients.

A couple of weeks ago, Dining Alone featured a dish that combined pork, sauerkraut, apples and potatoes. With Fall upon us, it seemed like the perfect dish to warm me up on a cold night. Plus, sauerkraut makes everything better!


I did adapt the recipe to suit what I had on hand - the original calls for smoked pork chops, but I used regular ones. Next time, I would use the smoked, because I can definitely see where that would add a super flavor. I also used caraway-free sauerkraut, fresh potatoes that I pre-boiled instead of the canned, and Dijon mustard instead of the whole grain.

I adore mustard, so I'll definitely add more the next time. I don't think I'd cook the potatoes with everything else next time, simply because I prefer roasted potatoes with a hearty dish like this. Also, if you don't love sauerkraut, I would make a smalled portion of the mixture, and serve it on the side.

I served this with some steamed carrots seasoned with lemon pepper and Mural of Flavor.


Pork with Sauerkraut, Apples and Potatoes
adapted for a recipe featured on Dining Alone

  • 3 fresh pork chops, thick cut and boneless
  • 20 oz. sauerkraut, fresh (if you're unable to find fresh, use bottled)
  • 4 small potatoes, boiled and sliced ( I used a combination of redskin and Idaho)
  • 2 small apples, cored and chopped
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Arrange the potato slices in a baking dish.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chopped apples, the drained sauerkraut and the mustard.
  4. Stir everything together, and pour on top of the potato slices.
  5. Top with the pork, and pour the apple juice on top .
  6. Bake, covered, for 1 hour, or until everything is heated through and the pork is cooked.

I'm sending this over to Joelen for her Oktoberfest Round-Up - hope she enjoys it as much as I did!

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks awesome! I'm still trying to figure out what I'll be making for the event but this definitely captures German eats perfectly! Thank you for submitting it to the event :)