Thursday, May 14, 2009

102

Apparently I hit 100 posts yesterday and didn't even notice.
I wish I had made some kind of fanfare, but I'm not really a fanfare kind of gal. I don't like birthday cakes because of the singing, I can't take compliments very well, and I panic when I'm the center of attention.

I'm growing as I'm shrinking, or at least trying to, so happy freaking 100th to me.
It's a learning process, people!

Now onto the food!
Today was the first day of easing back into 'normal' life after a week off and also having my mom in town, so we were kind of all over the place. Thanks to Mom, I got to start off my day with an amazing, fresh Montreal pumpernickel bagel, half spread with Smart Balance with Flax and half spread with the greatest butter known to man, a.k.a almond butter. I'm absolutely addicted to the stuff, and so far, MaraNatha Natural is my drug of choice.

Went to the gym and did an awesome workout. It just felt nice to be back, youknowwhatimean? I never thought I'd say this, but man, not working out was killing me, along with Mr. Sickey. I can't imagine how I never got into the gym before. Well, no, that's a lie, I do know - I never wanted to get into the gym before. Amazing what just a few months can do, huh?

I was pretty hungry after the gym but was running off to an almost-forgotten doctor's appointment, so I grabbed some almonds to tide me over for 55 calories. By the time we were done, Mom and I were in the mood for food! With the beautiful weather we've been having, fresh seafood seemed like the perfect choice so we headed over to Jewel City, a local gem.

I grabbed a few of Mom's fried pickle chips and a clam strip. Fried food is definitely not the healthiest option, but it was nice to have to munch on - you've got to try a fried pickle once in your life!

I decided to live on the edge, so I got the daily special - SHARK! It was pretty darn good, perfectly grilled and really meaty. One of my favorite things about Jewel City is that they don't add any animal products or grease to their vegetable sides, making them healthier and just as tasty! I had the fish (aside from a bite to the mom), a hush puppy, the collard greens and half of the potato salad, along with the juice from the lemon. Super satisfying, the entire meal comes in at about 583 calories.

For dinner, we were invited to the park for a grilled picnic by the show's staff. I was a little worried about what we'd be eating, but I shouldn't have been! It was really nice to have so much fresh food available, and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

My plate, with jerk grilled chicken, a couple of whole wheat pita wedges, cilantro hummus, tabbouleh, fresh pineapple salsa, cucumber and red onion salad and grilled asparagus, zucchini, squash and red peppers. I wasn't a fan of the tabbouleh or cucumber salad, but I ate everything else, aside from a small piece of chicken to Mom. It's so much fun being able to share meat with her!

I also had dessert:
A little piece of angel food cake with fresh strawberries and (I'm assuming) Cool Whip. This wasn't more than 3 or 4 bites, but it was the perfect size, and was so summery. Including dessert, dinner clocked in at about 452 calories.

That means the grand total for the day is 1358. I have a little wiggle room left, but since I'm not hungry, I won't use it! I'm glad I avoided the healthy food trap - like so many others, I tend to overeat on 'healthy' foods. The healthier it is, the worse I get. I'm really proud of dinner especially; no bites off anyone's plate, no nibbles on the side, and no seconds!

Do you fall into the trap? How do you deal with buffet-style meals?

P.S. check out Junghwa's giveaway!

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

OMG YUM! You know tooth issues = best diet ever! I shouldn't say that but man I am quite jealous of your ability to consume such total and utter nom worthy food ;)