Friday, May 15, 2009

motown express

Happy Friday!

Today's been a great day - my mom came with me to the gym, and it was really fun. I'm so proud of her! She hasn't exercised in at least a decade, and boy, was she ever a trooper. Not only did she come to Weighted Workout with me, but she did all 45 minutes of it! It wasn't easy, but she did it, and I don't know too many people that would've. She seemed to enjoy aqua aerobics a little more, and it was easier on her joints, so she's pledged to do that all of next week. It may be baby steps, but they're pretty big ones to me.

We rushed around most of today, so not too many food pics. Breakfast was a pumpernickel bagel with a little Smart Balance with Flax for 228 calories, and in between classes, I munched on a string cheese and a handful of almonds for 122 calories. Since my mom has never been to Panera Bread, we had lunch there. The Fuji Apple Salad with chicken sounded amazing, so I ordered that with a side of the french baguette. Boy, was I in for a shock! Without any changes, the salad alone was 520 calories and 30 grams of fat, which is absolutely nuts for a salad! I only used 4 forkdips of dressing, and they forgot the pecans, so that brought it down to 357 calories and 12 grams of fat. Not great, but definitely better! Between the salad, the baguette, and a teensy sample of a cinnamon crunch bagel, lunch came out to 518 calories.

E's little brother is graduating from WVU's school of nursing tomorrow, so we made the drive to Morgantown earlier this evening. For some reason, I get super munchy anytime a road trip comes into play, and today was no exception! Even though it only took us about 3 hours, it felt like we were driving for-e-ver. I ate dinner pretty early on, which was probably my first mistake. Since we took home some of last night's picnic leftovers, I took sliced up some of the jerk grilled chicken and grilled zucchini and squash, and mixed it up with some fresh pineapple salsa and pasta salad (whole wheat penne, a few pine nuts and broccoli). It came out to 370 calories, and even though it was definitely tasty, it wasn't filling at all!

I found organic carrots on sale the other day for $0.19/lb, so I peeled some up this afternoon. Good thing, too - by the time we'd gotten to our hotel, I'd eaten 4 of them, and they were the best carrots I've ever had, hands down.


Once we got to the hotel, I had some orange sections and some of the biggest cherries I've ever seen - imagine this x2. My fruit and veggie snackout came out to 208 calories.



Which means the total for today was 1447 calories - perfect! Tomorrow I may not be so lucky - we're having lunch with the fam at Red Lobster, and my goal is to avoid the Cheddar Bay biscuits at all costs. They're total Kryptonite, and I can never stop at one. I'll report back, and let you know what happened.

When is one never enough for you? I can't be alone in this!

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Its amazing how many calories and fat get snuck into salads! At my work people tend to "delude" themselves by thinking out quiche is healthy when its the worst thing on the menu which kills me when they tell me they're "on a diet". Anyway enough of my blathering on!
One for me is never enough when its something I especially love! So I fill up on other things first and then indulge in one of those things where one is generally "not enough" and then I usually only have one... Most of the time :)