Friday, August 29, 2008

Thank You, Dr. King

I watched the coverage at the Democratic National Convention tonight with E and his friend Pat, and it was magical. To see Senator Obama giving such a life-changing speech was truly historic.

I have never voted in Canada, nor do I have the right to vote here, but for once in my life, I'm giving in to the Political spirit. As a recent immigrant, and someone who was raised in a country where health care and pensions were a given, I can see the current political situation in perhaps a different light than those in my social circle, and in both my and E's families. The couple of months I didn't have health care here were horrific, and full of worry that something would happen and we wouldn't be able to pay for it. I can't imagine living that way for my whole life.

John McCain would've made a great president - 4 years ago. 8 years ago. But not today. We need a change, and I do not think the Republican party is willing and able to give us that change. We can't survive even another year on the policies that the current administration has laid out before us.

Senator Obama is, at least for this election, the right answer. Yes, it would be amazing to have an African-American president in office, especially in the same year as Same-Sex marriage being re-legalized in California. This election is not about colour, and I truly hope that people will stop focusing on that. If Senator McCain was black, he wouldn't stand a chance.

Remember today, and every day -

"
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!"


1 comments:

Unknown said...

i agree wholeheartedly. In Canada and the USA, we seem to focus on poverty and disease in third world countries. Canadians are lucky that we do not have to worry about health care for ourselves, our children and our elderly but more and more doctors are refusing to provide extra care previously paid for by medicare and many are so busy that the wait for an appointment is detrimental to our health. North America is one of the richest in the world - our citizens should be able to have the health care they need provided to them as a right and necessity not a luxury.