Thursday, April 23, 2009

Digging the Daregal

A few weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Matt.
Matt, as it turns out, works for Daregal, a company that specializes in fresh frozen herbs.
Matt wanted to know if I'd like to try out these oxymoronic herbs, and tell y'all about them.
And be completely honest about the whole thing.
I bet you could tell how quickly I said yes, huh?

Herbs, for me, are like water and air. I can't function without them, and am beyond annoyed when I run out. I also try to keep as much salt out of our food as possible, so herbs are the be all and end all around here. I use a lot of dried herbs, which are great in the long run - shelf-stable, convenient, and easy to use. Sometimes, though, a girl just needs some freshness in her life. Fresh herbs around here are really expensive and can be hard to find. They also seem to go bad in our fridge rather quickly, putting a damper on our wallets.

Enter Daregal and their ingeniousness (and generosity!).
Not only did I receive 6 varieties to sample, but they were the full-sized containers! Shipped with dry ice, I received Dill, Oregano, Italian Parsley, Cilantro, Basil and Original Blend (a combination of basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme).


As you can see, in my enthusiasm, I swiftly opened every single container upon arrival as quickly as my hands would move. I've been using these babies in everything lately, and I've got to tell you, I'm beyond satisfied. Not only do the herbs keep beautifully in the freezer for up to 36 months, but they're super-convenient! Pre-chopped, it's so simple to just throw them in any dish, and they defrost instantaneously. Also, because they're lightly misted in vegetable oil before packaging, there's no clumping inside the container - just shake and use. I've also tasted them on their own, and not only do they look like fresh herbs, they taste like them, too - amazing!

I've sprinkled dill on brown rice, cilantro on nachos, and on roasted vegetables for a quiche. My absolute favourite combination so far was today's post-workout snack - nonfat Greek yogurt, honey, sliced strawberries and basil. This just screamed summer, and was incredible; the basil brought everything together without being overpowering. I could seriously eat this every single day. So cheery and yummy! Plus, how beautiful and fresh does that look?

Now for the downside.

For now, the only stores where Daregal herbs are sold are A&P, D'Agostino, Giant Food, Kings, King Kullen, Stop and Shop, Waldbaum's and Shaw's, none of which are in our area. You can also buy them online at Daregal, but with shipping it becomes a little pricey. Well worth it, but pricey.
Also, I'd love to see mint and chive added to their product line, because I'd be on it like peanut butter on toast!

When it comes down to it, I would totally buy these herbs. They're delicious, convenient and 'shelf'-stable, and the quality is exceptional. Seeing as my biggest issue is that it's a PITA for me to get another batch, I don't know that I've ever been this satisfied with anything before. They would make a great gift, and they're worth trying - I'd be shocked if you weren't completely satisfied.

Right now, Daregal is hosting Gourmet Sweepstakes 2009, where they're giving away an 8-pack of fresh frozen herbs every week (I've totally entered). Plus, Daregal does offer some great deals:
  • buy any 4, get any 1 free
  • buy any 6, get any 2 free
  • buy an 8, get any 3 free
  • buy any 12, get 4 free

Since I've gotten a few e-mails on my lack of food posts lately, I'll leave you with one of our favorite dinners of this week, Spaghetti Sauce Sandwiches. Served on Ezekial with a little 2% shredded cheddar on top, these were totally satisfying, quick to make and great as leftovers. It would also be really good on top of pasta or over some rice or a baked potato.

I used Morningstar Farms Griller Crumbles instead of ground turkey or beef, and it was a great substitution - they looked and tasted like the real thing, and was better for you, too. What more can you ask for?


Spaghetti Sauce

makes 4 servings
  • 2 cups Morningstar Farms Griller Crumbles
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 16 oz. no salt added tomato sauce
  • 1 cup tap water
  • 1 tsp. dried Italian Seasoning blend
  • 1 Tbsp. each of Daregal basil, oregano and Italian parsley
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  1. Heat skillet over medium-high heat, and spray with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil.
  2. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
  3. Stir in garlic powder and Italian seasoning blend, and saute for another minute.
  4. Add in the crumbles, and stir until defrosted and they begin to brown.
  5. Pour in the tomato sauce and the water. Add in the balsamic vinegar and the bay leaf, stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  6. Add in the basil, oregano and Italian parsley, and cook for another 10 minutes.
  7. Serve!
nutritional information per serving:
106.9 calories, 1.9g fat, 1.5g polyunsaturated fat, 0.4g monounsaturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 260.8mg sodium, 111.1mg potassium, 13.4g carbohydrates, 3.7g fiber, 4g sugar, 9.6g protein
12% Vitamin A, 59.7% Vitamin B-12, 23.2% Vitamin B6, 9.5% Vitamin C, 15.6% Iron

1 comments:

E said...

These herbs were seriously delicious.