Here's a dish to get you back in the mix, and quickly too: Fettuccine Alfredo. I know, I know; cream sauces are not exactly a health food, but this one's a little different, without sacrificing any flavour. Serve with roasted vegetables and a warm roll, and you've got a winner.
adapted from a Kraft Foods recipe
serves 4 (or 2 starving adults)
- 1/2 lb. fettuccine, uncooked (I used Rossi's Parsley & Garlic, a local favourite)
- 1 no-chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1/3 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese (I used the powdered kind)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Cook pasta as directed, and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth up to a simmer, and whisk in the flour, a teaspoon at a time, until well blended.
- Add in cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, nutmeg and pepper. Stirring constantly, cook until the mixture comes to a boil and starts to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Taking saucepan off the heat, add in the pasta, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and parsley, and plate.