Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Eggnog Cookies

Ever since the success of the famous pumpkin cookie, I've been on the hunt for a seasonal cookie for Christmas which is just as good, if not better. When I found the Eggnog cookie, I thought I'd hit the mark - even Nog haters love these things!


Apparently, I was wrong; in fact, I may actually be the first person to dislike these, which makes me wonder if I did something wrong. They didn't spread or puff like I thought they would, so the first batch were perfectly shaped like little scoops of ice cream, and to me, tasted like flour and flour alone. E seemed to like them, and brought them to work the next day for their Christmas potluck (against my better judgment, by the way). Either I need to get my taste buds checked or they got remarkably better the next day, because apparently they were quite the hit! I'll probably try making these again in a week or so when Eggnog goes further down in price to see if they're better the second time around.

Eggnog Cookies
adapted from a Mrs. Fields recipe found on Picky Palate
makes 18 cookies
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 1/4 cups Splenda (or sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup eggnog
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon nutmeg (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well with a wire whisk and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter with an electric mixer. Add eggnog, vanilla and egg yolks and beat at medium speed until smooth. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  4. Chill dough for 20-30 minutes. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the bottoms of the cookies turn a light brown.
  5. Transfer to a cool, flat surface immediately and sprinkle with remaining nutmeg.

0 comments: